Wednesday, August 23, 2006

My Biological Clock at 38 O'Clock...

... still continues to tick, I'm sure. But is it for to have kids? I don't think so.

Conversation started with Ming announcing her pregnancy. Happy as I was for her, the ensuing conversation inadvertently led to whether I had ever thought of having kids. My reply:
  • I have no maternal instincts whatsoever to begin with, so the clock can persistently tick all it wants, it doesn't make me feel any different
  • PLUS I have no affinity towards children in general; I can be asked to babysit or be a godparent but as long as kids go home with other people to where they rightly belong at the end of the day, I am truly fine with that kind of arrangement
  • PLUS I like my life the way it is; selfish as it is, living it on my own terms and filling it with the things that make me pleased and with doing things that only I want... and I don't particularly want it to change in any way
  • PLUS I now have a dog, although in shared custody... that IS like having a kid!
Ming and I are both monkeys of the same age. She too never thought of having kids. In fact, I always thought that she would remain serenely and confidently unmarried like some of us. Until she decided to bite the bullet earlier in the year. And although I would consider myself anything but old at 38, at the same time, I couldn't imagine myself getting pregnant at this age! Not that I have any means of getting pregnant without going to the bank!

No comments:

Post a Comment