Monday, August 28, 2006

Sounding Board...

... or a convenient ragdoll for to be used and abused?

When W calls (which is not very often) and she starts off with "Busy?" (which is even rarer), I know that she is at wits' end. It is FREQUENTLY about her venting her frustration because of others being unreasonable but it is ALWAYS about the girls and the games that they play (literally and metaphorically).

On the one hand, I guess I could see it as a vote of confidence that she would think that I am able to help reason things out with or for her. And she will only call me when it is about things "of a larger magnitude" as opposed to frivolous gossip and whatever games she might be playing, metaphorically. So I do suppose that it does put me in a place where I don't mind being perceived as a stable voice of reason, even if by proxy. Head talking.

However. There is always a trace of resentment in me when this happens because I know that at all other times, I wouldn't really matter much to the scheme of things anyway. She will still continue to do what it is she does and without so much as a sniff at what other think or have to say. All she wants is for someone to nod a head in agreement. And it irks me that she takes it all for granted. Heart talking.

Just one of those things that I learn to balance everyday. I have always chanted the mantra, when the head and heart collide, let the heart have a say but ALWAYS let the head prevail.

No comments:

Post a Comment